Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Nicki Minaj - Your Love

You would think that after you released a song twice, you would work to make an amazing video! I will admit, I liked this track a lot when it first came out months ago, on its first release. Now, after a few months and re-release of the track, I can't decide which upsets me more, the weak video or the fact that the track is #1 on the Billboard Rap chart!





I understand the connection between the song and video, she says Geisha and Samurai, so why not shoot this kind of video. Maybe for me its too literal, I don't know. The video is very slow and to me, somewhat boring. Of course, in true Nicki fashion,  she has to go through her normal wig changes.

One thing people are talking about in terms of this video is the sword fight and Nicki's death. I think the death scene and Lil X's use of the red draping to signify her blood, was most creative part of the entire video. Ok, she's a Geisha who falls in love with her Sensei and dies in a sword fight with another in love classmate, I get it but the video is boring!

Because Nicki dies at the end, the video is compared to labelmate Drake's "Find Your Love" and Erykah Badu's "Window Seat." I honestly don't think Drake got shot at the end of his video, I think the chick stood behind him and shot other dude but whatever, I'll go along with it for this. I don't think this video is, in any other way, comparable to either Drake or Erykah's videos though. Killing yourself in your videos seems to be somewhat of a trend for 2010 videos. Who will be next?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment