Friday, February 26, 2010

Zeta Tau Alpha and Alpha Kappa Alpha now share First Place of the Sprite Step Off






So, yesterday I posted a little entry about the sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha winning the Sprite Step Off! Well this morning I woke up to find out that there had been a lot of controversy over the white girls winning the step off so the sponsors, Coca-Cola, decided to call the competition a tie.

Now, the Sprite Step Off winners are Zeta Tau Alpha, a white sorority from University of Arkansas and Alpha Kappa Alpha, a black sorority from Indiana University. Both received $100,000 in scholarships.

Coca-Cola released a statement saying:
Due to the extremely narrow margin between the first and second place winning sororities, we conducted a further post-competition review and discovered a scoring discrepancy. There is no conclusive interpretation, nor definitive resolution for the discrepancy."

Was there really a "scoring discrepancy" or was that just Coca-Cola's attempt at putting out the flame?

Although Step is a historically African art form, I don't see the problem with others taking part. Maybe it is because I am a member of a MultiCultural Fraternity in which I step along side people of many different races and ethnicities.

I can't say if I think the AKAs deserve to share first place or not because I have only seen the performance by Zeta Tau Alpha, but If I was a member of the third place, Delta Sigma Theta Step team, I would be a little mad! If it was that close, why not call a rematch and get everyone back to ATL sometime next month and have them compete again?

No comments:

Post a Comment